Monday 15 October 2018

A Night at the Opera

A Night at the Opera
for the members of Stirling Chess Club

In 1858 Karl, Duke of Brunswick challenged Paul Morphy to a game of chess in his box at a Paris Opera House, resulting in one of the most famous games in history. Here the ghost of Duke Karl has looked in to say hello and see how your own game is progressing.

I hope I don’t distract you from your game ?
I trust I need not introduce myself –
I think you know … in English is the phrase
" go down in history " – that is, I did,
I have " gone down in history ". Although
the revolutionaries took my rightful
lands, I am Graf von Braunschweig,
" Duke of Brunswick" as the English say
( I lived in London once, when I was young).
Still I can hear the stones, they strike my coach!
Still I can see the flames, they burn my home,
my palace! Then my brother steals my throne.
This you do not remember, no?
Ich bitte – please, forgive – I understand
this is not why you know and honour me.
(Forgive, I do not mean to intrude but
your pawn, King’s pawn, it is slightly perhaps
isolated?)
Monsieur Philidor, recall,
he called the little pawn the " Soul of Chess" :
just so, also is Chess the soul of life,
just so it was for me – Chess was my life.

Exile in Paris it was of course most
comfortable : salon, cuisine, musique,
les femmes bien sur, toujours si elegantes.
But no. For me it is always das Schachspiel : Chess.
It is true, there is also diplomacy ;
I have to do a little – but my heart
It is on the board, for truly there are found
my Knights, my Bishops, Castles, Queen – and King.
( Speaking of King, forgive me please: king side,
your Bishop and your Rook – they do nothing.)

But every day I play with Isouard, my friend,
also a Comte ; he plays a noble game.

And then the day I hear, I hear the news:
Paul Morphy is in Paris! Straightaway
I send my messenger, so I invite
the greatest player in the world to play
with me – truth is, I invite him to
the Opera – I know he likes the Opera.
A clever trap, I think – just like in chess …
he does not know the board is in my box.
( Just one small thing. He lets you take his Knight.
You think you should accept this sacrifice ?
No matter : as you say, it is your move. )

But now I think you know me, who I am .
I am the man who played the greatest game
of chess, against the greatest player also.

( A pity that your King he never castled –
And now he has queen side … nevertheless
You would think you would still be strong enough)

Now Isouard and I ( we joined forces),
We placed him so his back was to the stage.
It seemed to irritate him just a little …
at any rate, he had the white pieces.

A Rook for knight?! He has overreached himself
perhaps? I know you still have more
material and that is still what counts…

His Queen en prise ?! I know, for one second
you know you have him – he has lost the game!
… playing too hasty, simply a mistake ?!
You have to take her anyway – it’s check –
two pieces up, and you still have your Queen …
attack repulsed, and victory assured.

But now – what is he doing? He lifts the Rook
up in his fingers and he carries it
from one end to the other of the board,
sets it beside our King! Must be the end –
even he can’t beat us with one piece!
Alas, he can , his Bishop lies in wait,
protects the Rook, who stands , and gives - Checkmate.

Clive Wright (Makar of Stirling)

Many, many thanks to Clive for this. For those who may not know it, the game itself is below.

[Event "Paris"] [Site "Paris FRA"] [Date "1858.??.??"] [EventDate "?"] [Round "?"] [Result "1-0"] [White "Paul Morphy"] [Black "Duke Karl / Count Isouard"] [ECO "C41"] [WhiteElo "?"] [BlackElo "?"] [PlyCount "33"] 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 Bg4 {This is a weak move already.--Fischer} 4.dxe5 Bxf3 5.Qxf3 dxe5 6.Bc4 Nf6 7.Qb3 Qe7 8.Nc3 c6 9.Bg5 {Black is in what's like a zugzwang position here. He can't develop the [Queen's] knight because the pawn is hanging, the bishop is blocked because of the Queen.--Fischer} b5 10.Nxb5 cxb5 11.Bxb5+ Nbd7 12.O-O-O Rd8 13.Rxd7 Rxd7 14.Rd1 Qe6 15.Bxd7+ Nxd7 16.Qb8+ Nxb8 17.Rd8# 1-0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.